SAFE & HUMANE FOR BEHAVIORAL HEALTH PATIENTS:
At last, there’s a safe eating utensil for behavioral health patients at risk for self-harm or suicide. Use ESU on your safety trays as a dignified alternative to fingers-only menus. Because it is disposable, it’s perfect for Covid containment. [Learn more about the safest, disposable utensil for patients at risk of self-harm]
ESUs are “used as a standard item for safety trays for patients on suicide watchat Kaiser Permanente.” – Edmund Delmundo, Nutrition Services, Kaiser Permanente Hospital, Santa Clara, California
The sturdy and pleasing-to-use ESUs:
- prevent self-harm for at-risk patients from misuse of utensils, such as swallowing and cutting.
- are a worry-free addition to safety trays.
- are non-punitive: our durable paper utensils are so smooth and pleasant to use, hundreds of millions have been sold for consumer use.
- offer a humane option that promotes dignity and mental healing.
- provides more humane food service for all patients (vs. finger only patient menu).
- help prevent spread of Covid 19 facility-wide – CDC recommends disposable food service ware.
- promote dignity and healing vs. limited fingers-only menu.
- are perforated for quicker breakdown if ingested.
- can save costs, compare the price of using ESUs vs. the cost of one self-harm incident.b
- reduce agitation & depression exacerbated by a safety tray menu.
Click map to see customers-by-State Map for ESU
- Can be used for any food that does not require a knife, such as scrambled eggs, meatloaf, casserole, soup, cereal with milk, watermelon and ice cream.
- Can be easier for arthritic patients to hold.
- Ultra-compact to store
- Eco-friendly paperboard
North American ESU resellers:
- US Foods
- Food Service Express – Med-Diet Laboratories
- SWS (Canada)